August 17, 2012 in Recipes
Chicken salad makes an excellent meal for a hot summer day, but the mayo factor makes it a real food problem for those of us who don’t keep homemade mayo around. The store bought stuff is loaded with unhealthy, rancid, GMO oils and fats & in my humble opinion, not very tasty either. Well, here’s one super easy & healthy real food recipe for chicken salad that is full of GOOD ingredients & easy to pack up in a cooler for an on-the-go lunch. For those with allergies, this recipe is also easy to adapt.
- 3 cups shredded or cubed organic, free-range chicken
- 3 heaping tbsp plain whole milk yogurt (I like Nancy’s brand if we aren’t using homemade)
- Dijon mustard
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds (or sunflower seeds for those with nut allergies)
- 2 kosher dill pickles, diced (I like Bubbie’s brand)
- 1/4 cup organic raisins
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Other additional ideas: fresh chopped apples, fresh cut grapes, boiled eggs (for those not allergic), chia seeds
- Place chicken, celery, almonds (or sunflower seeds), pickles, raisins, and any additional ingredients to a large bowl and mix well
- Add yogurt, a few large squirts of Dijon mustard, salt & pepper to taste and mix well
- Serve on Ezekiel bread, celery sticks, carrot sticks, apple slices, or homemade tortillas & enjoy!
The mixed up final product.
Sweet hubby had no idea that there was no mayo in his chicken salad sandwich, but he said he loved it!
What’s your favorite easy, real food go-to summer recipe?